Scented and Crunchy Fig StrudelsCourse: Cookies
A treat that the whole family will enjoy!
300 g of flour
170 g of butter at room temperature
100 g of sugar
50 g of honey
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
a pinch of salt
a pinch of cinnamon
grated rind of 1 orange or lemon
2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract
4 egg yolks
400 g of dried figs
80 g of apple puree
50 g of honey
on top of a teaspoon of cinnamon
- Put softened butter, sugar, honey, grated orange or lemon zest, salt, vanilla extract and cinnamon in a bowl. Mix well with a mixer.
- Add the egg yolks one by one, stirring constantly, until they are combined with the mixture.
- Add the flour sifted with baking soda – first mix with a mixer on the lowest speed, and then with a wooden spoon to mix the mixture well.
- The dough should be very soft, so do not add more flour.
- Divide the dough into four parts, shape each into a roll that you spread a little with your palm and wrap in a piece of transparent foil. Leave the dough to cool well in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, prepare the stuffing.
- Put sliced figs, honey and apple puree in a mixer (multi-practice) and mix until you get a smooth mixture.
- Put the mixture in a pastry bag for decoration or an ordinary freezer bag with which you cut off the top.
- Roll out the dough very thinly (about 2 mm) and cut into 8 cm wide rectangles (collect the rest of the dough and cool it, then roll it out again). Roll out the dough between two pieces of baking paper, and flour both under the dough and just the dough on top, because it quickly softens at room temperature and becomes sticky.
- Along each rectangle, in the middle, squeeze the stuffing, then spread it a little with a knife.
- Fold the dough over the filling, then turn so that the fold is on the underside.
- Transfer all shaped strudels to a baking sheet and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- When the strudels have cooled well, cut them with a very sharp knife into pieces 6 cm long, but leave them joined, ie. do not separate the cut pieces.
- Place them in an oven preheated to 180 ° C for about 12 minutes, until lightly browned on top.
- While still warm, cut again and allow it to cool.