Marshmallow Chocolate Bites with Crispy QuinoaCourse: Chocolates
25 ml (5 tsp.) Gelatin powder (about 2 sachets)
125 ml (1/2 cup) water
160 g (3/4 cup) sugar
1/3 cup (75 ml) clear corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) vanilla extract
45 g (1 1/2 cups) puffed quinoa
60 ml (1/4 cup) water
210 g (1 cup) sugar
45 ml (3 tbsp.) Cornstarch
30 ml (2 tbsp.) Icing sugar
64 small wooden skewers
3/4 lb (340 g) dark chocolate (see note), melted and at room temperature
- Line a 20-cm (8-inch) square pan with plastic wrap and lightly oil it.
- In a saucepan, off the heat, sprinkle the gelatin over the water. Let swell for 5 minutes. Add the sugar and heat over medium heat, without boiling, until the gelatin and sugar have dissolved.
- Pour into a bowl, then add the corn syrup and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form, about 10 minutes. Distribute the marshmallow evenly in the pan. Using a spatula, level the surface. Let cool to room temperature until the marshmallow is set, about 2 hours.
- Place the grill at the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 180 ° C (350 ° F). Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Distribute the quinoa on the baking sheet. Bake for 5 minutes to make it crisp. Transfer to a bowl.
- In another saucepan, bring the water and sugar to a boil. Cook without stirring until the mixture turns a golden color. Remove from fire. Without waiting, add the quinoa. Using a spatula, coat well with the caramel. Immediately pour onto the baking sheet just used to grill the quinoa and spread the mixture in a thin layer. Let cool completely to room temperature. On a work surface, finely chop the crunchy. Reserve in a large deep plate.
- In a bowl, combine the cornstarch and icing sugar. Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Sprinkle a little of the cornstarch mixture on the work surface and the blade of a knife. Unmold the marshmallow. Cut into 64 cubes and coat them with the cornstarch mixture. Put the marshmallows in a sieve and shake them to remove the excess cornstarch.
- Insert a small skewer into a marshmallow cube and coat it with melted chocolate. Drain to remove excess chocolate. Sprinkle with quinoa before placing on the baking sheet. Repeat with the rest of the marshmallows. After making half the marshmallows, reheat the chocolate over a double boiler or in the microwave, as needed. Leave to set for 3 hours at room temperature.
- Marshmallows will keep for 5 days in an airtight container at room temperature.