Chocolate CromesquisCourse: Chocolates
170 g (6 oz) dark chocolate, chopped
125 ml (1/2 cup) 35% cream
140 g (1 cup) graham crumbs
Vegetable oil, for frying
Vanilla ice cream, to taste
- In a bowl, place the chocolate. Reserve.
- In a small saucepan, bring the cream to a boil. Pour over the chocolate and let stand 2 minutes. Using a spatula, stir until the ganache is smooth. Cover with plastic wrap directly on the surface of the ganache. Refrigerate 6 hours or until set.
- Using a 15 ml (1 tbsp) ice cream scoop, shape ganache balls. Place on a plate. Reserve in the refrigerator.
- In a small food processor, finely crush the Graham breadcrumbs. Place in a deep plate. In a separate deep plate, lightly beat the eggs.
- Coat the ganache balls in the breadcrumbs and shake to remove the excess. Dip in the egg, then again in the breadcrumbs. Pass the breadcrumbs through a sieve to remove any lumps if necessary. Dip a second time in the egg and then in the breadcrumbs to give the balls of ganache more crunch and to protect them during cooking (see note). Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and freeze for 2 hours or until ready to fry.
- In a saucepan, heat 5 cm (2 in.) Of oil to 190 ° C (375 ° F) (see note). Fry a few balls at a time, 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown, stirring gently during cooking. Watch out for splashing. Drain with a skimmer on a paper towel-lined plate. Reserve in an oven preheated to 95 ° C (200 ° F).
- Serve with small scoops of vanilla ice cream.